What is Cumulus, and why we are producing it:
A significant number of people own Oric computers, but due to the lack of availability of Disk Drive units, most have to use emulators in order to watch floppy based software.
It is true that back in the days there was not a lot of available software on disk, but this is not the case anymore, and having a disk unit gives access to a significant number of software, such as the hundreds of CEO discs compilations, most of Twilighte's tools, games (suchs as Space 1999, Pulsoids, 1337, Murder on the Atlantic), demos (Barbitoric, Buggy Boy, Quintessential, ...), sound compilations, slideshows, etc...
Some people have been trying to find alternative solutions, such as using the HxC floppy emulator to replace aging and difficult to source 3" disk drives, but unfortunately this does not solve the main problem: Finding controller boards is very difficult and build new ones requires hard to find components.
The best solution so far, is Cumulus.
Originally designed by Retromaster1 the project was unfortunately stopped in its tracks for various reasons, but he gave us all the design documents so somebody else could try to get the project alive and kicking.2
Fortunately, Boris Kaminski (aka Metadata) took over, downloaded the design documents, and managed to build his own Cumulus3. And he is ok to produce a batch of Cumulus for all of us, at what I think is a pretty reasonable price considering how a 'must have' this product is.
- it is a modern reimplementation of the Oric Microdisc disk unit
- it is fully compatible with it (it was tested with the existing games and demos)
- the virtual floppies format used is the standard DSK format supported by all the Oric emulators
- the usage is simple, thanks to a menu based system using a color screen and some selection buttons allowing you to select the floppies you want to run
- it has a nice black and red casing (3d printed) so nicely fit with the design of your Oric Atmos
If you are interested, please go the official Cumulus Preorder Thread and add a post stating how many devices you want to buy!